Saturday, October 13, 2012

Visiting the Bedouins!!!!!

 This past Thursday, my section and I went to Beer Sheva (a city 40 minutes from Arad) to learn about the Bedouin culture in Israel. My expectations of the trip were that we would be visiting actual Bedouins that live in tents and ride camels (yes I know, very stereotypical). My mom even joked that I need to be careful just in case someone wants to trade me for some camels!!!!!!! Oh mother....
 Anyway, what we actually did was way different than I expected. We started out at the Thursday market which literally sold everything from home appliances to women's clothing to handmade works of the Bedouin people. The market was awesome I loved seeing so many different cultures coming together and I even scored on some extremely cheap shoes :). I definitely want to return to this market sometime soon.
 After the market our tour guide to us on a walk to a different market and on the way we found Bedouins that were literally sitting in the middle of an empty dirt parking lot with about three hens/roosters each that were just attached to some sort of leash. The whole thing was so medieval that I couldn't even bear to look..... My friend even saw a merking take place :(((((((((
We also saw Bedouin man that was sitting outside the shuk selling the most random things in the world. It seamed as if he looked around his house and picked random things that he wanted to sell (like a garage sale). He literally was asking us to take pictures of him....
 After that we went to yet another market!!!!! This shuk was very similar to the previous one but it was still fun to find such cheap bargains!!!
 Our last stop of the "tiyul" was at a Bedouin artist's home in Segev Shalom (a Bedouin town in the negev). The artist is a woman who is very well educated and is actually a teacher in the school in her town. She embroiders and paints tiles and her artwork and all of her embroidery is recycled fabric from her mother's old clothes.... HOW COOL!!!!!

All in all it was a great trip even though very different from what was expected.
My friends and I ended our trip in Tel Aviv for a birthday party of a Brit from a different section... What a night!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment