Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving in Israel with Section 3!

Right before Thanksgiving, I was starting to become very homesick because I knew that all my friends are going home and I'm going to be staying in Israel. Not that it's a bad thing at all but it was just very hard for me to adjust to being "alone" for my first major holiday. However, my dinner with my Section 3 family here in Arad for Thanksgiving made me feel so thankful to be here on yearcourse and I am so grateful that we got a chance to do this!!!
My roommates and I were assigned dessert for the dinner so we decided to make brown sugar cupcakes with chocolate frosting (using a Thanksgiving cupcake decorating kit that I got from my parents' most recent care package). We also made delicious apple pie. We got the recipe from my roommate's grandma and she was very happy that we used it!!
The finished products:




We cooked all of that in about 2 and a half hours and still had time to get ready and do our Ulpan (Hebrew class) homework!!!
I went to the dinner dressed as a Native American!


So we had regular Ulpan classes and then the feast had begun!!! What is really funny is that the head staff member of our section, Jon is British and this was his first Thanksgiving! So cute :). Jon had us all go around and say what we were thankful for. Of course almost all of us said Yearcourse!! Our dinner had chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmellow and an assortment of different veggies! Each apartment had to bring something and I think it's safe to say we all did amazing!!
A picture of my plate:


After dinner we had dessert (the best part obviously) and we even had a little surprise! Our madrichim had previously contacted our parents and had them write us a little note telling us how much they love us! So cute, of course a bunch of people were bawling. The funniest letter was when the kid's parents were telling him all about how they were off to Cabo for Thanksgiving without him..... hahahahaha!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!










No comments:

Post a Comment