Saturday, December 22, 2012

My first week of classes!!!

This week was so exciting!!!!!
This was my first real week of Jerusalem so my classes started. Its actually crazy how much I love my almost all of my classes! This blogpost is completely dedicated to all of my classes and what they're about!
Ulpan: I have ulpan four days a week now (instead of two). In Jerusalem we have seven levels and I am in the highest level!! This is cool and a bit scary... Although my ability to speak Hebrew has really improved since I've been here, I am sad to say that my reading and writing is just not quite there yet...... My teacher gave me a bunch of different excercises to work on during break so I'm hoping that will help! I also love my class (almost everyone in that class has Israeli parents haha). Also, a YJ staff member is taking ulpan with us which is really cool! Shoutout to Camille!!!! :)
Power of Persuasion: This class is AMAZING. A representative for a pro-Israel advocacy organization called The David Project teaches how to correctly advocate for Israel on the topic of the crisis with the Palestinians. Our teacher always plays devil's sdvocate with us and really gets us to think about this issue way more than before. I have already learned so much and we have only had two classes! Can't wait to see how the rest of the semester goes! I'm gonna be a pro at defending Israel :)
Jewish Art: This is a class that has been very interesting.We have been learning about art throughout the ages. So far we haven't touched on Jewish Art, but we have learned about the Greeks, Egyptians, Islam and Christianity and others as well! I really like my teacher, he is SO funny. I find myself jotting down funny "Avi quotes" in my notebook during lectures....
Jewish and Holocaust Film: This class is going to be really tough. We are going to see movies about the Holocaust and just Jewish movies in general. We are also going to be learning how to write detailed reviews of these movies which should be interesting. This class has a lot of work, but that's okay with me. I already have two movies to watch over the break.... :p
History of Jerusalem: This is a siyur class! What this means is that every class is a trip somewhere!!! we only have this class once a week. Our first trip was to a place called Gush Etzion. This is across the west bank, so our bus had bulletproof windows (lol). Our first stop was a road that is supposedly the road that Abraham and his people used. VERY COOL
A mikveh from the time period:


beautiful views:


We had a lesson outside about the story of Abraham and where he went (not my thing, but whatever) and learned alot about the history Judaism and how that relates to where we were. Kinda cool to think that I could be walking on the same land that Abraham did....

Beautiful scenery in the West Bank


Our second stop was at the Tayelet (lookout point) In Jerusalem. At this point you can see all of Jerusalem from the Old city to the New City. Literally SUCH a breathtaking view.





Here, we sat and talked about the story when Abraham was about to sacrifice his only son to God and then and angel stopped him right before he was about to do it saying that he passed God's test and now God knew he was loyal. As a final wrap up we discussed the story and then went home.
Hadracha: This is my favorite class!!!! The assistant head of my section, Laz is very experienced in leadership for young people and he is teaching a class on how to teach leadership to others!! This class is perfect for me because I want to be a regional director at BBYO at some point in my life! Our sessions are all about programming and psychology and relationships. This really is the perfect class for me :)

Safe to say my classes are great :) I'm so excited for this semester!!!!
And now that I have had only a week of classes it is time for winter break!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment